Maasland Relocation

Phone and Bank


If you still have a non-Dutch phone provider, you will be able to use
your phone in the Netherlands. However this is an expensive and not a
long-term solution, and probably extra costs will be charged for
roaming, incoming and outgoing calls. Depending on how many calls you
make and how long you are planning to stay in The Netherlands you can
choose between a prepaid plan or a contract.

Prepaid plan:

Prepaid gives you a lot of freedom, you can use it for as long or as
short as you would like to, with no obligations at all. The downside is
that your calls are more expensive than with a contract and if you run
out of credit, you need to purchase new credit before you can make
calls. Again, internet is also possible when having prepaid.


If you are planning to stay for at least 1 year or longer, a contract
would be the right choice for you. You can choose for a 1, 2 or 3 year
contract. The longer the contract term, the less you have to pay for the
mobile phone.

Phone shops:

At the Grote Gracht in Maastricht (road between the Markt and Vrijthof)
you have several phone shops where you can buy prepaid phones, sim cards
and take out a contract.


One of the most important needs when moving to the Netherlands is having
a Dutch bank account. You need a bank account to transfer your rent, pay
your phone or internet bill or just take a trip down to the supermarket
to ‘pin’ your groceries. Although most money transfers with a foreign
bank account shouldn’t be a problem, it is much more convenient, and
sometimes even required, to have a Dutch bank account while living in
the Netherlands.

Major banks in the Netherlands are:

  • Rabobank
  • ING
  • SNS Bank

How to open a Dutch bank account:

To open a bank account in the Netherlands you need to make an
appointment online, or simply walk into your nearest branch with all of
your details. Once all the details have been processed you will have to
wait until your account is approved and your new pinpas is sent out to

A valid form of ID, passport or ID-card

  • Proof of address, like a rental contract
  • Personal public service number (BSN)
  • Residency permit if you come from outside of the EU